Physical Therapy Services
Our goal at Chatham Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy, is to provide the best possible care, helping each patient return to an active, rewarding and pain-free life. To accomplish this goal, we have put together a carefully selected team of talented therapists and staff who are dedicated to the principle of serving our patients’ needs by offering continuous improvement in care that is thorough, personal and efficient. We provide the highest level of care to our physical therapy patients.
Our occupational and physical therapists in Savannah, Richmond Hill, Rincon, and Pooler are certified healthcare professionals who understand the unique demands of each patient and athlete. At Chatham Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy, we evaluate each patient and determine the best course of action to treat their conditions, with the end goal being to return the patient to an active, rewarding, and pain-free life.
Our physical therapists understand the unique demands of each patient and athlete. We utilize an eclectic treatment approach to correct biomechanical faults in joint mobility, muscular strength, flexibility and endurance. We are experts in treating all orthopaedic and sports injuries, as well as post-operative rehabilitation.
- Electrical stimulation to assist with muscle re-education
- Ultrasound for pain management and improved blood flow to injured tissue
- Iontophoresis for anti-inflammatory treatment
- Traction to reduce pressure in the spine when spinal arthritis or disc injuries are present
- Kinesio Tape, an elastic, latex-free tape lasting 3-5 days that may re‑educate the neuromuscular system, reduce pain and promote healing and lymph flow
- Custom orthotics assessment and fitting
Our occupational therapists realize that the needs of each patient vary greatly from case to case and create programs specifically designed to help each patient return to their normal, daily activities. We strive to help our patients overcome any mental or physical disabilities they may be experiencing to drastically improve their quality of life.
Chatham Sports Medicine offers a full service hand therapy clinic. Every patient will receive a thorough assessment and individualized treatment program. Chatham Sports Medicine believes that quality care is best delivered through a hands-on approach. Our therapist-to-patient ratio is one-to-one; therefore, patients will spend a majority of their clinic time in direct contact with the therapist. Several specialized services are available, including whirlpool, impairment rating and a private wound treatment area.
Chatham Sports Medicine utilizes top-of-the-line equipment to rehabilitate patients. Simply put, we treat the best with the best. Click the links below to learn more about our specialty physical therapy equipment.
Whether this is your first time at physical therapy or you have had a physical therapist in the past, there are certain steps you can take to make your physical therapy visit as smooth and successful as possible.
Upon physician referral, you will be evaluated by a physical therapist or occupational therapist to determine the cause of your pain and injury. The evaluation includes:
- A review of your medical history
- A review of the test results from your surgeon
- An interview with you about your injury, limitations, and pain
- A clinical evaluation of the range of motion, strength, neurological status, ligament integrity, and movement patterns
Following your evaluation, your physical therapist will outline a specialized plan of care to help you get back to what you love.
What to Bring
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to complete registration, and bring the following items with you:
- The written, current referral from your physician
- Insurance card
- Claim number
- Any pertinent billing information
- Comfortable, loose clothing (patient gowns and shorts are available)
- Daily and recreational shoes (for lower extremity diagnosis)
Before Your Therapy Visit
- Ask Questions — Write down any questions you may have before your appointment. It is also important to make a note of any key moments that you believe may have caused your injury or pain, including any stress and injuries, even if they seem minor.
- Symptoms — Make a list of any symptoms you have been having that you believe your physical therapist should know about. Patients are encouraged to write down what symptoms are the most painful and bothersome and also how long they have been lasting. The goal of physical therapy is to reduce these symptoms.
- Medical History — Gather any medical records from physicians who have treated you for your current condition. This is important so your Savannah physical therapy team can evaluate your condition, and contact your doctors, if need be.
What to Expect During Your First Visit
Your physical or occupational therapist will ask you about your current condition as well as your past medical history during your visit. Providing your therapist will a fully detailed report will allow your therapist to determine if you will benefit from physical therapy or occupational therapy, and what treatments will work the best for your needs.
After the questions and evaluation your therapist will perform a clinical examination. Your symptoms will determine the extent of the examination but typically we will examine your mobility, range of motion, flexibility, balance, coordination, posture, blood pressure, as well as heart and breathing rates.
Your therapist may also examine how you walk, how you get up from a sitting or lying position and how your body moves for routine activities like lifting or bending. This examination is made to be as comfortable as possible, and will play a key role in devising your treatment plan.
Physical therapists or occupational therapists may also ask you questions about your daily life, such as questions about your home environment, health habits, and your level of activity. We will work with you to determine your goals of therapy and develop your treatment plan.
The main goal for physical and occupational therapy is to improve your ability to function throughout day-to-day life. To achieve this, we perform therapy exercises that focus on weakness, limited motion, pain or swelling. Another important goal of therapy is to educate patients on ways to improve their health and continue to exercise after therapy is completed. You will have the chance to continue these exercises and workouts on your own at home. Your therapist may also give you extra exercises to do at home while still attending therapy sessions.
Schedule an Appointment
Chatham Orthopedics is here to assist every patient and to make them feel as comfortable and well informed as possible. Serving clients across the Savannah, Effingham, Richmond Hill, and Pooler areas, we offer state-of-the-art facilities and orthopaedic care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and see why Chatham Orthopedics is the premier rehabilitation team in Savannah.