Savannah Physical Therapy
Preparing for Your Visit with Your Physical Therapist
Our physical therapists in Savannah and the surrounding area are certified healthcare professionals who understand the unique demands of each patient and athlete. At Chatham Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy, we evaluate each patient and determine the best course of action to treat their conditions, with the end goal being to return the patient to an active, rewarding, and pain-free life.
Whether this is your first time at physical therapy or you have had a physical therapist in the past, there are certain steps you can take to make your physical therapy visit as smooth and successful as possible.
Before Your Physical Therapy Visit
- Ask Questions — Write down any questions you may have before your appointment. It is also important to make a note of any key moments that you believe may have caused your injury or pain, including any stress and injuries, even if they seem minor.
- Symptoms — Make a list of any symptoms you have been having that you believe your physical therapist should know about. Patients are encouraged to write down what symptoms are the most painful and bothersome and also how long they have been lasting. The goal of physical therapy is to reduce these symptoms.
- Medical History — Gather any medical records from physicians who have treated you for your current condition. This is important so your Savannah physical therapy team can evaluate your condition, and contact your doctors, if need be.
- Attire — It is recommended that you wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment. Daily and recreational shoes are also recommended for lower extremity patients.
- Other Items — Remember to also bring your written, current referral from your physician, your insurance card, and any other pertinent billing information.
What to Expect During Your First Visit with Your Physical Therapist
Your physical therapist will ask you about your current condition as well as your past medical history during your visit. Providing your physical therapist will a fully detailed report will allow your physical therapist to determine if you will benefit from physical therapy and what treatments will work the best for your needs.
After the questions and evaluation your physical therapist will perform a clinical examination. Your symptoms will determine the extent of the examination but typically we will examine your mobility, range of motion, flexibility, balance, coordination, posture, blood pressure, as well as heart and breathing rates.
Your physical therapist may also examine how you walk, how you get up from a sitting or lying position and how your body moves for routine activities like lifting or bending. This examination is made to be as comfortable as possible, and will play a key role in devising your treatment plan.
Physical therapists may also ask you questions about your daily life, such as questions about your home environment, health habits, and your level of activity. We will work with you to determine your goals of physical therapy and develop your treatment plan.
The main goal for physical therapy is to improve your ability to physically function throughout day-to-day life. To achieve this, we perform therapy exercises that focus on weakness, limited motion, pain or swelling. Another important goal of our physical therapy is to educate patients on ways to improve their health and continue to exercise after physical therapy is completed. You will have the chance to continue these exercises and workouts on your own at home. Your physical therapist may also give you extra exercises to do at home while still attending physical therapy sessions.
At Chatham Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy we utilize top-of-the-line equipment to rehabilitate our patients. Our specialty physical therapy equipment includes the BTE PrimusRS and the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill. These machines, in conjunction with other therapies, provide invaluable benefits to our patients on the road to recovery.
Schedule a Physical Therapy Appointment
Chatham Orthopedics is here to assist every patient and to make them feel as comfortable and well informed as possible. Serving clients across the Savannah, Rincon, Richmond Hill, and Pooler areas, we offer state-of-the-art facilities and orthopaedic care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and see why Chatham Orthopedics is the premier rehabilitation team in Savannah.
Chatham Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy
4425 Paulsen Street
Building A (North), 2nd Floor
Savannah, GA 31405
Chatham Sports Medicine is comprised of a talented team of physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist assistants, certified hand therapists and athletic trainers. Our physical therapy staff strives to keep athletes in peak condition and return injured athletes to what they love to do.